Destination Tallangatta Streetscape Works
DELIVERING ON TALLANGATTA TOMORROW:
Tallangatta Tomorrow is a community plan, completed in 2012. The plan has led to the delivery of $15m of community-initiated projects designed to make the most of the features that make Tallangatta a great place to live and work. Works completed by Council so far include:
• Sandy Creek Rail Bridge
• Tallangatta Sports Centre (Rowan Park)
• Tallangatta's new Community Centre and Library
• Tallangatta Bowling Club upgrade
• Lord’s Hut relocation
• Tallangatta Lookout redevelopment
• Destination Tallangatta project
Read more about Tallangatta Tomorrow here.
WHAT IS DESTINATION TALLANGATTA?
Destination Tallangatta is a $5.3m project, with significant Federal Government funding, that delivers the remaining priority projects identified through Tallangatta Tomorrow, including:
• traffic management and streetscape beautification works in Towong Street, including the roundabout and intersection works
• Lake Hume foreshore improvements
• a new foreshore playground
• the Tallangatta Holiday Park upgrade
• Improved pedestrian links between the Rail Trail, main shopping district, residential areas and foreshore
TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT WORKS:
From 25 July Council will be surveying and setting up a second style of roundabout, having trialled and assessed one design option over the past two months at the eastern end of the triangles. This new design is available to view by visiting the Tallangatta Council office or by downloading the plans below. Feedback is welcome.
Refinement works will also be undertaken on the intersection design at the western end of the triangles in response to feedback. The modifications will enable longer vehicles, such as buses, to more easily access Towong Street.
WORKS TO TOWONG STREET, BETWEEN TOOMA STREET AND AKUNA AVENUE
As part of the broader Destination Tallangatta project, the section of Towong Street between Tooma and Akuna Streets in Tallangatta will be upgraded. The works include road widening to match the pavement width at Tooma and Akuna Streets, the addition of new kerb and gutter to both sides, as well as new stormwater drainage works to the existing open channel. In addition, a bike lane will be created on both sides of Towong St.
A plan of the works is available for download below.