Careers @ Council
Towong Shire Council employs over seventy staff in full time, part time and casual positions. We have offices and depots in Tallangatta and Corryong and also have various other worksites across the Shire including:
- Corryong Visitor Information Centre;
- Libraries in Tallangatta and Corryong;
- Maternal and Child Health in Corryong and Tallangatta;
- Kindergartens in Tallangatta, Corryong and Bellbridge;
- Transfer Station in Tallangatta; and
- Swimming pools in Tallangatta and Corryong.
With such a diversity of roles in local government we offer exciting career opportunities for motivated individuals.
Working in local government provides a stimulating and rewarding career across a wide range of disciplines. The Towong Shire Council team embodies a friendly and supportive staff working alongside a proactive and committed group of Councillors. We may be small, but the camaraderie and teamwork is second to none with opportunities to grow your skills many and varied.
In addition to valuing teamwork, our organisation fosters a culture of respect and trust; integrity and ethical standards of behaviour; and pride in what we do.
Our team works towards achieving the objectives, priorities and goals as set out in the Council Plan. To view a copy of the current Plan click here.
How to Apply
All positions are advertised on the Council website. Depending upon the type of role, advertisements may also be placed in the local papers including the Corryong Courier and Tallangatta Herald and also the regional daily, The Border Mail. Positions may also be advertised on websites and in national papers where it is deemed appropriate.
Submission of applications
We really appreciate the time and effort it takes to submit an application for a role with us and your interest in joining our team. Please remember to include the following in your application to give yourself the best chance in the selection process:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae which includes your contact details (postal address, email and phone numbers), relevant qualifications, licences, previous employment details, duration of positions held, professional development undertaken, skills, achievements and other relevant details;
- At least two current professional referees (previous supervisors) who can comment on your previous work history;
- A covering letter stating how you meet the requirements of the role (of no more than two pages); and
- Certified copies of any relevant qualifications or licences.
Applications can be lodged in one of the following ways:
- By email to email@example.com;
- Hand-delivered to Council's customer service desk at 32 Towong Street, Tallangatta; or
- By post and marked: Private and Confidential, Human Resources, Towong Shire Council, PO Box 55, Tallangatta VIC 3700
Please do not staple or bind your application, or submit it in a folder. When submitting an electronic application, please attach the various components as one PDF document, with your cover letter at the front.
Applications must be lodged by the advertised closing date and time. Late applications will not be considered.
What happens next?
Receipt of applications will be acknowledged within ten working days after the closing date, usually via email. The applicants will be shortlisted by a panel and if you are successful for an interview, you will be contacted by phone or email to arrange a time. Unsuccessful applicants will be notified by email, post or phone. Reference checking will coincide with pre-employment medical examinations and a selection decision will be made based upon all of these facts.
All preferred applicants will be required to undergo a police check prior to commencement. Depending upon the role, you may also be asked to undergo a Working with Children Check, psychometric testing and a pre-employment functional (physical) assessment.
All applicants must be legally eligible to work in Australia and be able to provide the relevant documentation to verify this. Those on current work visas must disclose this information with their application.
Council is an equal opportunity employer. All applications are assessed on their merit based upon the skill set required as outlined in the position description.
Applications are only accepted in response to advertised vacant positions. Unsolicited applications will be returned to the sender and, due to privacy implications, will not be retained by Council.
Applications are dealt with in the strictest confidence and in accordance with the Information Privacy Act. Details contained in your application will not be conveyed to any person not directly connected with processing your application without your permission.
Thankyou for your interest in working at Council - we welcome your application.
If you have any questions please call us on 02 6071 5100.